Neurodivergence as a Superpower: A Different Way of Moving Through the World
For much of my life, I’ve moved between worlds.
I’ve studied and worked across a diverse range of disciplines. In spa therapies, I’ve trained in reflexology, aromatherapy, meditation and mindfulness, and Reiki, and went on to teach all of these subjects at a private naturopathy college. In therapeutic bodywork, I’ve worked with remedial massage and developed a deep understanding of the physical and energetic systems of the body through hands-on practice and education. In movement and fitness, I’ve worked as a yoga teacher and teacher trainer, a Pilates and reformer instructor, and a stand-up paddle-boarding (SUP) instructor, including yoga on the water.
Alongside this, I hold a Bachelor of Science in Psychology (Honours), have completed postgraduate studies in Education, Positive Psychology, and Wellbeing, and have worked across Marketing, Business Operations, and Community Engagement.
My path has also taken me far beyond traditional settings, working on sailing boats, guiding whale-watching tours, and speaking over tannoys to share insights on marine biology. I’ve hosted yoga and surf retreats in breathtaking locations, and created immersive wellbeing experiences in some of the most beautiful environments.
More recently, I’ve started to explore something that reframes everything: the possibility that I may be neurodivergent, specifically ADHD (hyperactive type). And instead of seeing that as something to “fix,” I’ve begun to understand it as something to work with and even harness.
The Gift of Curiosity
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had an intense curiosity. When something interests me, I don’t just learn it, I go all in. I study it, practice it, teach it, and integrate it into real life.
What I once thought of as “too much” or “scattered focus” is now something I see differently: hyperfocus, deep immersion, and a drive to understand things fully.
So-called “jumping from one thing to another” has actually been a pattern of deep learning and skill stacking. Every modality I’ve explored now weaves into how I work with people, holistically, intuitively, and in a way that connects the dots others might not see.
Connecting the Dots
Neurodivergent minds are often wired for connection seeing patterns, links, and systems where others may see separation.
In my work, that shows up as an ability to blend physical, emotional, and educational approaches. It’s never just one modality. It’s reading the person in front of me and drawing from a wide, integrated toolkit.
What once felt “all over the place” now feels like a system.
Energy, Expression, and Engagement
From speaking on a tannoy to guide whale tours, to holding space in retreats, to teaching movement practices, there’s always been a thread of energy, communication, and connection.
ADHD, for me, has shown up as quick thinking, adaptability, and a natural ability to bring life into a space. When directed, that energy becomes powerful, it doesn’t drain a room, it activates it.
The Other Side of the Coin
It’s important to say, it’s not all ease and flow.
There can be restlessness. Overcommitment. Difficulty slowing down. A mind that doesn’t always switch off. And moments of wondering if I’m doing “too much” or not doing things the “right” way.
But understanding this has changed everything. It’s brought self-awareness, compassion, and the ability to create better structure, boundaries, and choice.
Reframing the Narrative
What if neurodivergence isn’t a flaw to correct, but a way of experiencing and interacting with the world?
What if the same traits that can feel overwhelming are also the source of creativity, intuition, adaptability, and innovation?
For me, the journey has been about reframing. Not forcing myself into a smaller box, but understanding why I could never fit into one in the first place.
And maybe that’s the real superpower: not fitting the mould, but building your own path entirely.
If this resonates with you if you’ve ever felt like your mind works a little differently, or your path has never been linear, you’re not alone.
And if you’re curious about exploring this through movement, mindfulness, or holistic wellbeing practices, I’d love to support you on that journey.
Comments
Post a Comment