How Persistence Helped Me Submit a Grant Application on Time
Today I was reminded of something powerful.
I spent most of the day completing a grant application with a deadline that was rapidly approaching. It could have been straightforward, except there were only days between finding out about it and the closure. But somehow, that minuscule and tiny possibility became a reason to apply and be in with a chance.
Information needed to be sourced from different places. Every time I thought I was potentially at the finish line, another obstacle appeared.
There were plenty of moments where it would have been easy to say, "It's too hard," or "I'm not going to get this in on time." Especially when that was seemingly evident in some of the doors closing along the journey.
But something interesting happened. I never once believed I couldn't do it. Every obstacle simply became the next problem to solve. The word "no" didn't register as the end of the story. It wasn't a stop sign. It was simply information that I needed to find another way.
Instead of focusing on everything that wasn't working, I kept asking myself, "What's the next step?" Little by little, each hurdle disappeared. Then, with only a short time to spare, I clicked Submit.
Whether the grant is successful is almost irrelevant. The real win happened long before I pressed that button. It was the reminder that our mindset shapes our outcome. So often we let circumstances decide for us. A setback becomes a reason to quit. A delay becomes evidence that we're not meant to continue. A closed door convinces us the opportunity has passed.
But what if those moments aren't saying "no"? What if they're simply asking, "How badly do you want this?" Persistence isn't about having an easy path. It's about refusing to let temporary obstacles become permanent decisions.
I've noticed that when I truly believe something can be done, my mind becomes incredibly resourceful. Instead of looking for reasons why something won't work, it starts searching for ways that it can.
That doesn't make the obstacles disappear. It changes the way I respond to them. Today reminded me that determination is often more important than perfect conditions. We don't always control the hurdles placed in front of us. We do control whether we stop. So the next time life throws obstacle after obstacle in your path, remember this: A hurdle isn't always there to stop you. Sometimes it's simply there to reveal how determined you really are.
And often, the only thing standing between success and failure is the decision to keep going.
Comments
Post a Comment